he long awaited and highly anticipated Sundown Audio “U Series” subs are finally here. Jacob Fuller and the team spent over a year to design, engineer, and tool proprietary elements to ensure the U-Series stands up to the incredibly high expectations set by Sundown and their lineup.
The “U Series” utilizes the same 1500 watt RMS Voice Coil as the entire X-V2 (10-18″) series with a similar rear-vented motor design. The “U Series” is the most direct replacement in the Sundown line for the world famous Z-v.3 series that was available from 2011 through 2016. The “U” varies from its similarly power-rated sibling, the “X” series, in that it does not use the “Sundown new platform” frame, spider, and surround technology. The “U” series is equipped with an extremely capable “traditional” suspension design – which results in a “punchier” sound when compared to the “new platform” woofers. It also lends itself better to high-frequency SPL competition classes for the same reason.
The list of “custom tooled” parts designed specifically for this sub is seemingly never-ending; including custom cone body, custom surround (larger and thicker than the Z-v.3 series), custom cast aluminum vent spacers, and a completely new cast aluminum surround bolt-on ring.
- Black Aluminum 3” voice coil former for superior heat dissipation
- High Temperature Round-Wire CCAW voice coil with high-temp black adhesive
- Double stitched surround
- Heavy duty cast basket
- Spring loaded terminals accept up to 8 gauge
- Stitched-on double-XL tinsel leads
- Rear vented pole piece
- Rear drilled gap-venting
- Innovative high-velocity cast aluminum vented frame spacer ring
- Magnet ID shorting ring
- Top-Plate Cooling Channels
- Cast Aluminum surround bolt-on rings
- Optimized for small ported or bandpass enclosures
- Available in Dual-2 and Dual-4 ohm Impedance
- 1500 Watts RMS
- Linear X-Max by 70% BL : 30 mm one-way